Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Selecting the Frame



Stage two was to determine what frame would work.
After a many hours on the Internet I determined that the Ford Ranger had the same wheelbase and wheel track. next I went to my local used auto parts supplier Arnprior Ottawa Auto Parts (AO)who were most helpful and continue to be in the selection of parts for my car. At AO I was able to measure the frame to ensure that it would work. From AO I was able to purchase an almost complete 2003 Ford Ranger.

The frame was an almost perfect fit, requiring the front to be shortened by 10 inches as it was too long for the front of the vehicle. The engine mounts had to be relocated back 10 inches to position the engine in correct relationship to the fire wall and to fit between the fenders. This also enable the use of the original 38 radiator. The fire wall had to be shortened to provide adequate room for the engine (a 5 lire Ford Mustang engine) and also work well with the floor pan I was to use.